Engquist Lumber Co. began operation in 1890. Olaf Engquist, founder
and an area farmer, saw a need for the supply of building materials to
Harcourt, Iowa and the surrounding area. In the early years grain and
livestock could be delivered for payment of a bill.
Olaf’s son Lawrence took over the business in 1917. Lawrence moved the business from property owned by the railroad to it’s current location at 203 S. Ash in Harcourt. In 1949 Lawrence’s son Robert purchased the business. Robert owned the company until 1981 when his son Scott purchased the business.
Scott Engquist is the president and manager of the company today. Engquist Lumber provides sales and design support to contractors and homeowners. The company sells lumber, plywood, windows, doors, cabinets, insulation and many more building materials. The company that started out serving the Harcourt community now does business across central Iowa!